Resources for Certified Museums
Library and Archives
AHS Library and Archives Contact Information
AHS-Tempe firstname.lastname@example.org, 480-387-5355
AHS-Tucson email@example.com, 520-617-1157
AHS-Yuma firstname.lastname@example.org, 928-314-2463
AHS-Flagstaff email@example.com, 928-523-5551
• On March 30, 2012, the Small Museums Committee launched the SMOC, the Small Museums Online Community. The one-hour webinar that marked the opening of this site is free and you can get details about how to view the webinar on the site. The webinar includes a tour of the website and speakers about assessment programs for small institutions. This new site is a one-stop resource for small museums. There will be regular blog posts, a resource page, discussion forums, informational webinar events, and is a convenient way for you to connect with your peers.
• What is StEPs? StEPs is a voluntary assessment program for small- and mid-sized history organizations. The program, created by the American Association for State and Local History (AASLH) with funding from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, encourages awareness and achievement of national standards. Organizations that enroll in this new self-paced, self-study program use assessment questions and performance indicators (Basic, Good, Better) to rate their policies and practices in six standards sections. Participating organizations can clearly identify their strengths and areas needing improvement, and begin taking steps to plan for positive change.
• Connecting to Collections Online Community: a place to post a question and get advice from others who have dealt with this issue.
• A selection of recommended books, helpful to small and emerging museums has been identified. The list can be found at the AASLH in partnership with the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS) for its Connection to Collections Bookshelf project.
• Technical Leaflets for purchase from AASLH
Education and Outreach
AHS Education and Outreach Contact Information
AHS-Tucson: Mary Ann Ruelas, firstname.lastname@example.org, 520-617-1154
NHD State Coordinator: Nancy York, email@example.com, 480-387-5363
• Teacher info
• Primary sources
• Field trips
• Classroom programs
Arizona History Day/National History Day
• Competition dates
• Research days
• Classroom visits