- Have the students get into groups of 4. Give the students the Letter templates.
- Two students should act as Arizona residents and the other two as the President of the United States.
- Have the resident students write a letter to the President of the United States outlining and explaining why Arizona should become a state. What resources can we offer the US and why do we need to be part of the central government?
- Have the other group be the President and write a letter to the residents explaining why he/she doesn’t think allowing AZ to become a state is a good idea, and what steps need to be taken in order to grant statehood.
- Provide students with the two cartoons
- allow them to choose one
- fill out attached cartoon analysis sheet