Peafowl Center Choice Activities
|Re-read pages 37 – 39 about Esperanza and Chica’s scuffle with a peacock named Zafiro at the Ochoa’s party. Record information you learn about peacocks not included in the Peafowl Facts Sheet.||Read one of the bookson peafowl and share what you learned during your next lit circle meeting.~The Spooky Tale of Prewitt Peacock by Bill Peet
~Just Plain Fancy by Patricia Polacco
~Feathers and Fools by Mem Fox
~A Peacock on the Lawn by Anna Hadfield
|Re-read pages 37 – 39 about Esperanza and Chica’s scuffle with a peacock named Zafiro at the Ochoa’s party. Record information from the Peafowl Facts Sheet that verifies Esperanza’s claim to Papá that the peacock chased her and that Chica was only rescuing her.|
|Read the myth, “Why the Peacock’s Tail has a Hundred Eyes.” Retell the myth to a friend or family member.||Research the Peacock Constellation. Write a summary of your findings and post it in the classroom for others to read.||Read the Peafowl in History Sheet and make a chart outlining how different cultures used and viewed the peacock as part of their lives or in their storytelling – myths and legends.|
|Use an online dictionary to look up the boldfaced words located in the Peafowl Facts Sheet and the Peafowl in History Sheet. Write the definitionson flashcards.||Write a creative story about a party or bevy of peafowl. Weave information you have learned from the Peafowl Center into your story. Illustrate it as an option. Share the story with a friend, your teacher or a family member.||Research the use of peacock feathers to adorn clothing and head wear throughout history. Create a piece of art using peacock feathers in your design.|
- Omnivores are both meat and plant-eaters.
- A harem is a group of female animals.
- When an animal molts it loses feathers, hair or skin.
- Iridescent means shimmering or sparkling with a rainbow of colors.
- Predators are animals that hunt other animals for food.
- Birds incubate or sit on their eggs until they hatch.
- A territorial animal is one that defends an area it believes to be its own.
- An indigenous animal is native to the local region.
- A vain person is one who is excessively proud.
- An arrogant person is one who is conceited overly confident.
- An omen is a warning sign of a bad future.
- To be sacred means something or someone is blessed or holy.
- Divine means that something has a godlike nature or that it is lovely.
- A coat-of-arms is an emblem or a symbol for a group or organization.